Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blog Assignment # 2

Did You Know? 3.0

   Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod put together video of predicted future changes and how it relates to Americans. Most of the information from the video centered around technological advances and human advances. Some of the predicted numbers are shocking and some of it kind of unbelievable. One piece of information that I was unaware of was that India was more populated than America, and it is great that they have so many intelligent people. Overall, I liked the video because I really hope to see most of the products we use to become better and more efficient.
   What I like the most about the video is the question posted at the end; So what does it all mean? I have no clue. I am someone that believes more and more technological advances may not be a good thing. I hope nothing bad comes of it but, I wouldn't ask society to rely solely on some of the new trends. Basically, I say that because some people I know don't have the fundamentals, which are the fundamentals of life. It is a good thing that Mr. Fisch and Mr. McLeod are thinking about what it all means.

Mr. Winkle Wakes

   Mr. Winkle Wakes is a cartoon character of a video. He wakes suddenly after sleeping for one-hundred years. He goes walking through the town and notices all of the differences. The hospitals have great machines doing medical work and, he visits an office with many computers and printers being used. It is all very strange to him. His final stop is at a school. At the school there isn't much change, only one computer is in the classroom and it covered in dust.
   I see this as a double edge sword. It is great that we have computers and breathing machines to help us get things done with such ease. It is hard to imagine being in a hospital without the tools and other things that doctors use today. Surgeries have greatly improved. The business world is much more efficient today because of technology. Deals can be done between a party of people that are in three separate locations. So the greatest changes over the past one-hundreds have been productive.
  The classroom was said to have pretty much remained the same as Mr. Winkle remembered it being. I think that is good thing in my opinion of practicing fundamental principles and techniques, success will always follow. I'm not against technological advancement in the classrooms but, I believe it should be reserved for certain purposes and subject areas.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity

  Sir Ken Robinson spoke at the 2006 TED convention. TED stands for technology, entertainment, and design. The basis of his speech or lecture was the education system's view on creativity from children. In his words, "we are educated out of creativity." By that he meant that the public education system in America and around the world does not accept, congratulate, or reward creativity outside of the framework set to educate. Mr. Robinson sees this as mistake that we can't afford to go on making.
  I would be first to back Mr. Robinson as many times as possible. A friend of mine, that I attended elementary school with, told me that he felt his creativity was shunned during his years of primary school. Now at the age of 27, he has recently started his very own delivery service and some people are thinking he will fail drastically because they don't or won't envision the purposes and capabilities that he has of the service. As for Mr. Robinson's point, it illustrates my hardcore belief that the education system isn't seen as highly successful because the agenda is outdated. The fundamentals are being overlooked to create minds and bodies that will be reactive instead of proactive. The EDM310 professor, John Strange, called it burp-back education. If more Ken Robinsons step into the mix there may be a creative change.

Cecelia Gault Interviews Sir Ken Robinson

   Cecelia Gault is a student from Finland. She conducts an interview with Sir Ken Robinson about his views on some important topics in education today. Cecelia is a student at a performing arts school, who believes that creativity is very important. Cecelia gave Robinson three great questions; "How can education change to meet the needs of the 21st century?", "What are the three myths of creativity?", and "How would he define intelligence?".
   Robinson gave Cecelia some great answers to her questions. More importantly, I believe that he gave her honest answers. I believe that the future students of America will get good educations if the future educators are honest. Honest answers to a student's question, honest effort given to their jobs and honest goals must be set. This does not pertain only to teachers, the administrators of the education system must practice this behavior with more purpose than any other.

Vicki Davis

   I commend Vicki Davis for the job she has done. She is an IT director and teacher at a small town school in Georgia. What she does is use technology to teach her students. She uses many different methods but it is all based through 21st century technology. She has her classes and students connected to others all around the world. This is what I commend her for the most. The students, at a young age, interact with other students of a different nation who have different cultural beliefs and views. I think it is important that they not allow the opportunity to pass without getting a better knowledge and understanding of those different beliefs and views. It may be the answer to many of the world's problems.
  What I like about Ms. Davis' class is that it allows students to use a variety of tools to learn. When the technology is added into curriculum I think it really shoots the students' interest through the roof. Probably, the biggest factor to their interest level is that the students are allowed to use the technology in ways they are already familiar with and already enjoy. With that thought, I disagree with her assessment that some students cannot learn as well without the use of technology. It is easier for students, or anyone, to learn when they use their own interests. So, hopefully we all agree that it is great that Ms. Davis has incorporated the use of modern technology in the classroom. However, it is not what is used to teach, instead it is what a student is allowed to use that can increase the learning ability.  





  
   
  

  




  


3 comments:

  1. You had to watch several important videos on technology and education. What I would like to know is what value is their with using technology in schools? Let me explain that I am a teacher that has access to a 1:1 lab. What should I be teaching my students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. M question is similar to Chamberlain's. You say that technology should be reserved for certain areas, which ones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Chamberlain,

    Not to be sarcastic, but I am unsure of what area you teach so I cannot answer what you should teach. I do know that technology brings value to education, but I don't know what the total value of the use of technology in schools. Partly, because I don't think the potential has been realized. Without a doubt, technology allows us to share information, ideas, and opinions much faster than ever before, and there is great value in that. However, let's look at this, since the mid-90s, the presence of technology in schools has increased annually. During this trend, the quality of education in America has fallen behind in comparison to the rest of the world, based on statistics. Is it possible that the use of technology in the schools may be overrated? I recently read somewhere that there is discussion of whether or not auto-pilot functions should be removed from planes because there is a thought that it decreases a pilot's quality due to a dependence on it. I personally believe that technology is great. I think everyone should know how to operate a computer, effectively and efficiently. My question, what is the honest purpose for the use of technology in schools? If we can find the honest answer to that question, I believe the value would be clear to everyone.

    Hello Anthony,

    I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but I know that technology should not be included in areas where it does not enhance the student's understanding beyond what it would be without the presence of technology. Example, we would not use calculators in English. This past summer I took an economics class that was hybrid, partly in class, partly online. The effectiveness of the online section of the class was not realized, and the instructor stated that he would recommend that it no longer be offered as a hybrid class. I have often wondered why there are not any History classes offered as hybrid or complete web courses. I believe History is the most idea subject for web courses but, I have not had the opportunity to take one online. With the available technology, anyone can study the history of almost everything they can think of. It makes me wonder...

    ReplyDelete