Saturday, September 10, 2011

Summary Post C4T #1

  Kim Cofino is a Learning and Technology coach at the Yokohama International School in Japan. Her most recent blog, titled "The Great Design Challenge: Introducing the MYP Design Cycle", was about how she would, for the first time, introduce the design cycle to students in a more fun way. With help from one of her colleagues, she decided on challenging the students to create a house of cards. The students would have to document their process of how they got their house built, and after everyone has finished they would begin discussion about which house had the best design or who followed design specifications the best. Through the talk about designs, she would introduce the design cycle to the class, which is a 6th grade class. She also spoke about how anxious she was to see the results of the design challenge. Her colleague, Damien, a 7th grade teacher, challenged his class to design "Wanted" posters. She seems to be a very passionate teacher.
  In my response to her blog, I introduced myself, and gave her my student status. I also mentioned the the class to her. I really liked the design cycle, so I gave my thoughts on it, and I told her I would share it others.

Design Cycle





  Mrs. Cofino has yet to write a blog since "The Great Design Challenge". Her blog prior to it was titled "Tech Tidbits: Increasing Teachers' Digital Efficiency". At the Yokohama International School in Japan, all students from grades 6-12 got Macbooks, a total of 400 students. Mrs. Cofino designed orientations, for students and teachers, to help them become more efficient when using technology. She created a list of fifteen essential skills, which includes things such as creating Google Docs and different ways to use the Google calendar. In the end, the teachers really liked the sessions so much they began to teach one another the different skills.
  From reading her posts, I really picked up on a couple of her quality traits. She has excellent organizational skills and a true passion for teaching. I did mention this in my response. I did not speak much to the orientation sessions, because what I took from the blog is the fact that Mrs. Cofino is very, very skillful, without the use of technology. I believe she would be great at teaching anything that she has a good feel for and I used my response to get that message across.

2 comments: