Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blog Assignment #6

The Networked Student

  "The Networked Student" is a video about a high school student enrolled in a hybrid class. He is referred to as the networked student because he does not use a textbook and his teacher rarely gives lectures. His learning is mostly done through connections with others who share their knowledge and ideas about the topic he is studying. He uses articles, blogs, and podcasts found on the internet to build his own base of knowledge on the topic. He uses the information he gathers to create a virtual textbook that he or any other person with internet access can use as a reference. His teacher teaches him how to build his network for learning, along with offering guidance on how to communicate properly, how to properly vet his sources, and how to differentiate between good and bad information. The teacher also helps the student to organize the gathered information.
  If I were a teacher today, I think I would be able to say I'm prepared to be the teacher of a networked student. Preparation starts in the mind, and those that don't believe they are ready truly are not. I would want to be more relevant than teacher described in the video. It reminded me of Kevin Robert's comment that teachers are becoming "filters" in the learning process. I wouldn't want to see myself as a "filter", and I wouldn't want anyone else to see me as such. As a teacher I would like to be the main source of information for my students. I wouldn't mind using any tools that I could find available to assist my teaching, but as is the level of respect and appreciation for teachers is dwindling down, and I think lessening the role adds to the depreciation.
  When thinking thinking of the concept of the networked student, it is easy to see the benefits a teacher can reap from it. It would definitely free up some time, which leaves more time for the teacher to prepare. It also creates more opportunities for a teacher to collaborate with another teacher, and this should relieve some of the pressures of teaching. From the students perspective, it is obviously a benefit, as long there are solid teachers in these types of classes. However, I think there has to be extremely great management of these students. If I'm correct, students struggle to complete work and research outside of the classroom at a far greater rate than when in the classroom. I just wonder what the numbers would look like if students have three or more classes a semester in which they are asked to be a networked student. One thing that young people don't manage well is time. So as these new ideas involving technology are being proposed, there are many other valuable skills that should be injected into the curriculum as well.
student network

1 comment:

  1. You made some valuable points and I would have to agree on being the main source rather than a filter because it isn't all about just throwing out information and hope they get it. Teachers should be giving the information along with explaining and making sure that there students understand.

    ReplyDelete