Saturday, December 3, 2011

Blog Assignment #14

Jose Picardo

Jose Picardo is the author of Box of Tricks, an educational blog. He also created a YouTube video, in which he gives ten suggestions on using technology in the classroom. In the video, his list of ten suggestions include streaming video, music, teleconferencing, interactive exercises, interactive whiteboard, podcasts, blogs and wikis, social networks, internet tools, and gadgets.Throughout the semester, in the EDM310 course, Dr. Strange had me to use many of these tech tools. I created a blog, which usually required me to view streaming videos from YouTube to ignite my thoughts on the idea of using technology in the classroom. I was assigned projects to create a podcast, participate in a skype interview, and learn the basics of the interactive whiteboard. I also created an account for Twitter as an assignment.

Picardo lists great ways that technology can be used to fuel the education process. Picardo mentions the use of music as his second tip, and music is without question a great way of teaching and learning. Yet, the only time I can say music was truly used to learn in my life was when I was learning my ABCs. In my opinion, music should be used in the middle and secondary schools. Here, educators can take advantage of pop music and rap to elevate the interest of today's student. It may take a very strong effort, maybe some risks would have to be taken, but I believe if the education system reached out to the music industry, it could result in some big names creating songs that would be effective. Interactive exercises could very well be seen as games. However, I would say the the education system should reach out to the gaming industry. The two can work together to create fact filled games and it would be very easy to include a wide range of subjects from languages to history, sciences, maths, and others. Much like the music, if the efforts are directed to the gaming models of the time it can be very effective. At some point and time every student has had an opportunity to play a game on a computer that was created for an educational purpose. I would think the most effective strategy would be to create games for the home consoles targeting the 10-19 year old audience. If the game is made to be more enjoyable than educating there could be a potential for financial profits. The most important factor is finding ways to captivate the students' minds outside of the classroom. Often the better students are the ones that enjoy reading for the entertainment value, and then they become intrigued when their readings include lessons that can be learned or important facts, so I see music and interactive exercises as having the potential to have the same effect.

Although I am not completely sold on the overhaul of technology in the classroom the potentials of it can clearly be seen. I definitely would not be against the idea of it but I would say that it should be thoroughly tested before the full commitment is made. The reasoning is I think the problems that the education system face are ones that will not cured by technology without correcting small details such as educator commitment, relevant curriculum, etc. When viewing Picardo's video the most important suggestion that he made was number eleven. Jose Picardo stated to use technology only when it helps to reach the objectives of the lesson.

Southen Miss logo

1 comment:

  1. Great work, Jason! I especially agree with the last part of your post. I believe that technology can be used to achieve almost any objective of a lesson plan, but there is always a right way and a wrong way to approach it.
    You are also right that the gaming and music industry should be more supportive of education. Just think how useful they could be if they created games or music with less of the idea of "entertainment" in mind and more of being learning aids. Good idea!
    Carly

    ReplyDelete